Post Nasal Drip Sore Throat:
Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
When sore throat is caused by post nasal drip, it is very painful and irritating. The tonsils in the throat, as well as other surrounding tissues, are swelling, though there is no infection. As a result, the throat gets raw, dry and irritated by the mucus that is running down the nose. And this is mainly why post nasal drip sore throat is one of the most unpleasant sensations to deal with.
Determine the Cause
Though there are different reasons why we get sore throat (for example, cold or flue), post nasal drip is regarded to be one of the main. The condition is accompanied by sneezing and a runny nose. In some cases it is associated with strep throat, when the infection makes one’s throat hurt severely.
Regardless of the cause, the condition can be treated both with medicines and homemade remedies that help to clear up in several days. It would be wrong to state that post nasal drip sore throat is a very severe condition, however its dripping sensation can remain in the back of throat for a pretty long time.
What Symptoms to Expect?
Generally speaking, the main symptom of the condition like this one is a runny nose and sore throat, of course. A patient can also suffer from frequent sneezing, because of the excess mucus amount in the nasal cavity. To the list of other symptoms also belong:
- frequent throat clearing
- difficulty swallowing
- feeling of lump in throat
- difficulty talking
In some cases the excess mucus amounts get into one’s stomach, triggering nausea. The condition is rarely accompanied by headache or fever.
Caring for Sore Throat
When sore throat is caused by post nasal drip, there are several ways for you to try out in order to get rid of an unpleasant sensation. These are:
- Many specialists recommend buying and using a steam vaporizer. What for? The number of minerals and bacteria collected and dispersed is lesser.
- To get rid of throat soreness you can gargle with some warm salt water. Just mix 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and gargle with the solution. Repeat the procedure as often as possible.
- Refuse from dairy products like milk and ice cream, as they usually enhance the production on mucus, thickening it.
- Drink more fluids in order to soothe a sore throat. The best variant is drinking tea with lemon and some honey.
- When the symptoms get severer, take medicines (ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen) in order to make the pain go away. Before taking any medicines, read the instruction on the label and follow it.
Post nasal drip sore throat is a painful sensation, but it is not the most serious one. Don’t leave the first symptoms neglected, and you’ll escape complications.
Visit smartmilhealth.com and see more useful tips about post nasal drip.
Other source of information here.